20 August 2013

Rahul Dravid's Speech as a Chief guest at BITS Pilani Convocation 2013, Goa


Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS Pilani) is one of the well known deemed institutions in India. The institution has its campuses at Hyderabad, Goa, Pilani and in Dubai. This institute is said to be fully residential and it was started in 2004 and was officially inaugurated in 2006. The first ever convocation of the institute in Goa campus was said to be held in 2011. And the convocation for the year 2013 was held on 11th of this month(11-Aug-2013). The highlight of the convocation ceremony was the presence of Mr.Consistency 'Rahul Dravid' :) Just imagine how lucky were those 2013 batch graduates of BITS !!!!!


It is obvious that every graduate would be delighted about his/her convocation day, but that day at BITS with Rahul Dravid as chief guest would have been a double delight for everyone there. To have such an inspiring person who has earned respect both on and off the field , is really a remarkable and memorable moment for all those who aspire to succeed in life.

Here I'm sharing his speech which lasted only about 12 mins, but he has conveyed his message eloquently in that short time.



Here's the video :
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
                      

 Video Courtesy : YouTube 

Whenever I hear that there is a speech from Dravid, either I will be tuning the television/Internet five mins prior to the show or I will curiously search for the link and texts of his speech if I missed it. It's all because there would be something inspiring to learn from him. To be honest,during my school days, I have learnt some new words from Dravid's speech. It's not just about words, but also the truth and values behind his speech.



Images Source : Department of Photography-BITS, Pilani-KK Birla Goa campus(as taken from Coolage.in)


And here in BITS convocation, Dravid's speech was nothing less than I have expected. It was again a motivating one which got Dravid a tremendous applause at the end from the professors, parents and students present in that occasion :) In his speech Dravid has covered the entire journey of his life as a cricketer and motivated the young minds by sharing some of his experiences.

Here I'm sharing his entire speech in text as I read it from coolage.in, an article shared by Shiladitya Ghose :

"It is an honor and privilege to be among you today to deliver an address on the graduation ceremony. It is very humbling to visit an institution like BITS that has set a very high standard and made significant contribution to our nation's progress. Actually I am also really lucky. I have been told that the minimum marks required to come to BITS is 75% in Maths and Physics. Luckily those standards do not apply in selecting your chief guest. A year and a half since my retirement has been a wonderful period of introspection and an opportunity to reflect on my career. Looking back I am certain that cricket has made me better, a more well-rounded person, it certainly gave me the opportunity to mature personally and the platform to experience both success and failure, learn from them and accept them both as a part of life. I am often asked for advice, how to be successful-honestly there are million ways to be successful and I am nobody to tell you which is right for you. Each one of us has to find our own path. Having this opportunity to speak to you, I wanted to share a few stories from my own journey, in the hope that they might resonate in some way.

I had like you to picture a boy from a typical middle class family. I was that boy. What made us different was that my uncle played alongside CK Naidu and my dad represented his university team and he was completely cricket crazy. The radio commentary was always on at home during test matches and my father followed every single match, international or domestic. He took me and my brother along to stadiums to watch the game in action at every possible opportunity. To his mind, there was no better use of our time. As a young boy I hero-worshiped my father and my curiosity about this game that he was so passionate about, grew progressively deeper and I spent more time watching the game with him and playing it in my backyard on the streets- my curiosity gave way to interest and before long this interest gave way to love. I remember at some point, feeling deep inside me, what I wanted to do. Finding myself in the Dravid household was no accident of birth, it appeared. I learnt that sometimes inspiration just stares you in the face.
Through my school days I was getting more and more into my own world of cricket, winning the inter school tournament felt like winning the world cup. Captaining the school and state teams was my greatest mission. However there is an interesting story from my school days which I would like to tell you. My love for cricket notwithstanding, my parents had the same doubts and fears as any other parents of our time. What was to become of me if all I thought about was cricket?

When I was in 8th standard, they took their concern to my school principal. I had just made the state under 15 team second time in a row and tournament was out state and during the school term. My parents met my principal and apologetically stated that as my cricket would interfere with my studies and school attendance, they could not ask me to go to play the tournament. They therefore sought his advice on the way forward. Father Coelho after giving them a patient hearing, told them, you leave his studies to me, I will handle that, you let him play cricket.
Had my school principal agreed with my parent's concern, there was a chance I would stop playing serious cricket altogether, got better marks-life would then have followed another script, I learnt that support sometimes comes from the most unexpected places and it make all the difference.

Borrowing class notes from friends and furiously preparing for school and college exams at the last minute, I was growing as a cricketer. At that time we played many league and junior state matches on bouncy batting wickets. We traveled by train across the length and breadth of the country, staying 5 or 6 in a room in some cases. It was a chance to know to know our country and its wide variety of people. The hard sessions at the nets and my performances at the junior level won me a state cap and before I knew it I was playing the Ranji trophy for Karnataka in 1991. I did well from most of the opportunities I got, and I ended up playing with the best in bowling I had ever encountered right at the very start of my career in the domestic circuit.

Though we did not have the chance to regularly play fast bowling of international quality, I made up some unusual drills for myself. I would tell colleagues to throw down tennis balls from 15 yards, to simulate what playing the top bowlers might feel like. I got many puzzled looks, to many it seemed like a waste of time. For me it left like essential preparations for everything that was to come. By this time I was being talked about as a national probable, I even captained the Indian under 19 team, the question I got wherever I went was : When are you going to play for the country? Now this is not something I had any control over, but the question began to dominate my life and my game. I ended up playing five years of domestic cricket, before getting my national grade. It was frustrating. I remember putting a sticker on my kinetic Honda which read, "God's delays are not God's denials." It was a gentle reminder to myself to keep faith when I started the scooter engine and loaded my kit bag in the morning.

Looking back now, I do not think I would have been prepared for the success I had at the international level had I not gone through the finishing tool that domestic cricket provided. Spin or fast bowling, easy or difficult batting conditions, I was well prepared for anything. The opportunity that I had had to play experienced spinners in the Ranji trophy helped me play Warne and Murlitharan with confidence. Those tennis ball drills did not seem all that silly, when I played the likes of McGrath, Akram and Donald on tough pitches. When I speak to youngsters, I like talking about this phase of my life, likening it to a fascinating plant which I am going to entangle.

You can take a Chinese bamboo seed and plant it in the ground, water and nurture that for an entire year. You will not see any sprout. In fact you will not see a sprout for 5 years. But suddenly a tiny shoot will spring from the ground. Over the next 6 weeks the plant can grow as tall as 90 feet. It can grow as fast as 39 inches every 24 hours. You can literally watch the plant grow. What was the plant doing in those 5 years, seemingly dormant? It was growing its roots. For 5 full years, it was preparing itself for rapid massive growth, With its roots structure the plant could not simply support itself for future growth. Some say that the plant grew 90 feet in 6 weeks. I would say it grew 90 feet in 5 years and 6 weeks. This period tested my faith and my willingness to believe in my own talent at the beginning of my journey.

Overall I had an extremely gratifying career- many highs and several disappointments as well. After the tour of Australia last year it became very clear to me that the time had come to move on and make way for the next generation of talented young batsmen to begin their journey, just as I had done 16 years ago. It just felt right and I was happy to call time on my career, with my family, colleagues and friends around me. I was touched by all affection I have received. I have no regrets, no unfulfilled professional goals and nothing left to prove to myself. I have climbed my mountain, one which I had originally set to climb as a little boy. As I began climbing the mountain I had set my eyes on, I received lots of support along the way. As a sat alone dealing with my success and failure I got to understand myself better. The climb became everything to me and I immersed myself in it. As I got closer to the top of my mountain, I managed to remain focused and keep my eyes of the destination. When I finally got there I thoroughly enjoyed being where I stood, sense of peace and parity, because it is then I realized that you do not have to be the number 1 in the world, you have to be number one yourself. Reaching that peak is the highest peak there is.
Like a good mountain climber I am now in search of the next mountain to climb. The uncertainty makes me nervous- it also excites me. I am back to being like a little boy, listening to the cricket commentary coming from my transistor in my father's studio. I would like to wish all of you- the graduating class of 2013, some of the brightest minds in the country today, as you embark on an exciting journey ahead of you.

May you find the mountain that is right for you. Give and receive support along the way, be patient and persevere through the ups and downs that you will face. And importantly learn to enjoy the journey you are about to embark on. All the very best! "

Hope that this speech would be motivating for all ! 

26 comments:

  1. Fantastic cricketer and wonderful human being!

    I loved this sentence - When life gives you Rahul, make it Dravid. Not Gandhi. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed he is :) The sentence sounds good :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the pink highlights - That made it easier to follow important parts of the speech. It's good to see self-made people like Dravid share their experiences. I loved the tennis ball practice that he was mentioning - People like Akram were training on the streets using tennis balls in Pak, at the same time he was practicing to take them on! They have attributed their pace to tennis ball practice, but this is the first time a batsman is saying this!

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt those lines has to reach many and hence I have highlighted it. Glad that it reached you all. Yep, that tennis ball drill he has undergone was inspiring and teaches what is hard work is all about in a smart way :)

      Delete
  3. Sushmitha .. are you writing speeches for him ? :D never did I know him so well .. thanks to your site .. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol :D No Jack, definitely I'm not the one who can write for such a legend :) Glad that it reached you :)

      Delete
  4. I watched the video. It is truly inspiring and he was funny too. That plant example is so nice, I think that's why he is so well rooted. Also the 'No. 1' thing. Thanks for sharing it, Sushmitha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Saru , I felt it as inspiring and yes he has a good humor too ;) He has mentioning this bamboo story for the second time. The first one was during his visit to Sharada Mandir school in Goa. I have shared about that too. I feel it helps many who are in quest for achieving something :)

      Delete
  5. Not a great cricket fan but do know this that Rahul Dravid is way far better than most of the players
    Regards
    My blog India Heritage Sites

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post, great blog, following :)

    Good Luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rahul Dravid - Mr. Wall of Indian cricket. He is just an amazing player as well as a great human being. He is one of may favorite cricketer. Thanks to the person who have post this amazing speech of Mr. Wall. Truly superb!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As i read this article, i find it very informative. it is a nice one because it deals with an interesting ideas and information. I like it so much as from the first time i read it, the images that are used here attracted me a lot. They take my attention from the first look, so thanks so much for sharing with us this great topic in this great website.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome thing about our GREAT WALL sushmi.... My humble request is that make a blog like this for tha KOLKATTA DADA, MAHARAJA, GANGULY.. If u can do means i feel very happy about ganguly and also happy abt my dr frnd u. BY YOGI...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yogiii :) Sure will try to do it :)

      Delete
  10. I thought you maybe interested to read this - :)

    http://mybloglifeshighway.blogspot.in/2014/02/no-dream-is-ever-chased-alone.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for sharing this ji :) Enjoyed reading it :)

      Delete
  11. Wonderful. Thanks for sharing. He is not just an amazing player,but a great human being as well. Your blog is also wonderful. -Jagat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indeed a great inspirational speech by Mr.Wall.
    I'm definitely proud of him to have him as a Inspirational Person. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your valuable comments here.. Thank you..